After a three year delay in preparation, Shanesville Bicentennial co-chairpersons, Sugarcreek Mayor Clayton Weller, and Judy Harstine presented Alpine Hills Museum curator, Kelly Engstrom with a time capsule containing artifacts from the August, 2014 Shanesville Bicentennial celebration. The time capsule will be stored by the museum until it is opened in the year 2064.
Recently Weller met with several past members of the 2014 Shanesville Bicentennial Planning Committee to discuss some ways in which the “historical value” of the history of Shanesville could be promoted in Sugarcreek and beyond.
Plans have been made to apply for an Ohio Historical Marker to be placed on what is now referred to as Shane Square, to help tell the story and share the history of the town of Shanesville which is now a part of Sugarcreek. Glen Hammel, Baltic native and Sugarcreek (Shanesville) resident, author and historian, has volunteered to do the necessary research and writing to complete the application for the marker. The marker will be funded by proceeds raised during the Bicentennial Celebration in 2014 and also with some possible fundraising projects by the Shanesville Historical Society in the near future.
Shanesville was founded in 1814 by Abraham Shane, located on what was once two Indian trails (state Route 39 and 93). Shanesville grew into an important and busy center of commerce. There was a school, churches, woolen mills, tin shops, a general store, a hat store, a bank, a drug store, a hardware store, a hotel, and many other places of business located on or near the “Hill”.
Shanesville was home to a long list of veterans who served their country starting with the American Revolution, the War of 1812, the Mexican-American War, the Civil War, the Spanish-American War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, up to present day. Two of these veterans, Milton Blickensderfer and Dr. Noah Yoder, were heroes of the Civil War and brothers, Robert and Walker Blickensderfer, died in combat during World War II.
The worst fire disaster ever, to this day, in Tuscarawas County occurred on New Year’s Eve in 1881 when approximately 200 townspeople were having a banquet on the second floor of Goeler’s Hall, which was on the southwest corner (Shane Square) of Mill Street and Main Street, where the Shanesville Lutheran Church Social Hall is now located. Ten people died from injuries they received from the fire.
Around the year 1882, the town of Sugarcreek (known then as East Shanesville) grew up around the railroad which was built through the Sugar Creek Valley and became the new center of commerce for the area.
“At midnight of Dec. 31, 1967, Abraham Shane’s town on the hill ceased to exist on the map," but not in the hearts of those who still call Shanesville home.
It is hoped that a Historical Marker will help present and future generations become more aware of the importance of the history of what was the town of Shanesville and the important role that Shanesville played in the formation of what we now call the beautiful Village of Sugarcreek.
To learn more about Shanesville history, the 2014 Shanesville Bicentennial History book is available for $15 plus shipping at the Alpine Hills Museum, P O Box 293, Sugarcreek, OH 44681 or phone: 330-852-4113/ 888-609-7592. You can also visit them at www.facebook.com/alpinehillsmuseum.
You can also visit Facebook Page “Shanesville: 200 Years on the Hill” for more historical information about Shanesville.
SUBMITTED BY JUDY HARSTINE
Source : http://www.timesreporter.com/news/20171110/2014-shanesville-bicentennial-time-capsule-presented-to-alpine-hills-museum-for-safe-keeping