The first image of the terrorist involved in the Champs-Elysees attack has emerged.
A police officer has been killed and two others injured in a shooting in the centre of Paris.>Gunman kills one police officer and shoots two more near Champs-Elysees in Paris
The attacker, named as Karim Cheurfi, emerged from a car and used an automatic weapon to shoot at officers outside a Marks & Spencer store at the centre of the Champs-Elysees, anti-terrorism prosecutor Francois Molins said.
The gunman, believed to be a French-born 39-year-old with a history of violent convictions, was shot dead by other officers.
A female tourist was also wounded in the incident on Thursday night.
Police have since launched a terrorism investigation and the so-called Islamic State claimed responsibility for the attack.
French officials said the suspect was previously flagged as an extremist.
The world-famous avenue, often jam-packed with tourists, was sealed off and nearby stations on the Paris Metro closed as investigations began.
French police warned the public to stay away from the area as armed officers were at the scene.
They also asked people not to ‘spread any misinformation’ abuot the attack that has not come from a ‘trusted source’.
Tourists were warned to go back to their hotels and to let family and friends know they were safe.
The UK Foreign Office said: ‘The British embassy is in contact with local authorities and urgently seeking further information following reports of a shooting incident on the Champs-Elysees in Paris.
‘You should remain vigilant and follow the advice of the local security authorities and/or your tour operator.
‘If you’re in the area and it is safe to do so, contact your friends and family to tell them you are safe.’
A Downing Street spokesman said: ‘The UK strongly condemns the appalling terrorist attack in Paris. The Prime Minister has tonight passed on her condolences to President Hollande.’>Eyewitness claims Cabbage singer ‘forced woman’s face into his crotch’ during gig
The incident comes days before the French election, which is to take place on Sunday.
President Francois Hollande called an emergency meeting on Thursday evening and said at a press conference that he was convinced the attack was a terrorist act.
US president Donald Trump, speaking at a press conference in Washington, said the incident ‘looks like another terrorist attack’ and sent his condolences to France.
Steve White, chairman of the Police Federation of England and Wales, said: ‘Once again the police family is in mourning and it serves to underline how brave officers are putting their life on the line day in and day out to protect the public.
‘As French colleagues felt the pain of our loss in Westminster last month, we feel theirs tonight.’
Pictures of the scene in Paris showed people rushing to clear the area, and a heavy armed police presence.
Eyewitness Badi Ftaiti said: ‘They were running, running. Some were crying. There were tens, maybe even hundreds of them.’
After the shooting, police swooped on an address in a Paris suburb.
A police document obtained by The Associated Press identifies the address searched in the town of Chelles as the family home of convicted criminal Cheurfi.
Archive reports by French newspaper Le Parisien say he was previously convicted of attacking a police officer in 2001.
Source : http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/21/first-image-of-isis-terrorist-who-fatally-shot-police-officer-on-the-champs-elysees-in-paris-6588008/